How to enhance your presence as an artist with the help of Cinematography, and Video Editing?
The skill and importance of translating a concept performance to VIDEO, what is video direction? , cinematography? , and editing all about. Let us try to understand all these in this episode of #artsyentrepreneurs with RISHI SHARMA an Actor, Dancer, Performer, Choreographer…
Where there are no shadows, there is no spotlight – Lady Gaga
Key Excerpts from the Conversation with Rishi
What is Cinematography?
The art of putting a concept/ idea on a screen. Well the screens have evolved with time, from the white curtains to the small mobile screens we have now. We ought to keep adapting and learning these new ratios and compositions to make our content more and more pleasing and comprehendible.
What is the most important thing for an artist?
In order to be a good artist/ or a performer first become a good human being.
As artists all of us are trying to express, to put out some strong messages out there, and it becomes vital for us to be optimists and rational people, as it has always been on our shoulders to shape the society we live in.
What are the start up tools a beginner requires to make a decent cinematographed video?
You already have the most powerful tool in your hands, your mobiles.
Moreover Cinematography has become more and more relevant today, in the era of content creation, where the new normal is “online” – Rishi
What are the start up tools a beginner requires to make a decent cinematographed video?
More than the tools, it is about your study, and the the senses you develop out of your understanding of the subject of cinematography, it is just about the treatment that your can give to video editing, and final cuts.
It is not about what is included, but what can be left out. – Stuti
You need to have an understanding and vocabulary of the cinematography elements associated with your craft, just this bit of understanding helps you communicate with the director / cinematographer really well. It adds mindfulness and awareness to what goes on the screen
*** suggested watch by Rishi Sharma https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNYJ_BJJbzI
Choreographer vs Storyteller?
Rishi now likes to call himself a #storyteller instead of a #choreographer, he says
Now it is more important to get the message across, to make his ideas reach more people. Art is a medium to inspire and bring positive change in the society.
Highly recommended watch Passion Over Addiction by Rishi Sharma, this is one of the best concept videos we have come across.
Art vs Commercial work?
Like Rishi says
Doing Commercial work, is way more rewarding than, just creating art. What is the point of working on something that does not create some ‘food for thought’ or leads no where. Such things usually wither with time. As artists we need to learn the art of getting across while keeping the message alive.
5 KEY INGREDIENTS TO AN AWESOME CINEMATOGRAPHED VIDEO EDIT?
- Your Intent and Vision
- Story Boarding & scripting your concept
- Marketing – finding the right audience is of an equal importance.
ABOUT RISHI SHARMA
Let us get to know Rishi Sharma, and his journey so far! he was one of the top 12 finalist in the international dance reality TV show, So you think you can dance – Ab India ki baari showcasing various dance styles like Tango, Jazz, Contemporary, Chhau, Urban, Freestyle and Bhangra winning the hearts of the audience and judges alike. In the year 2017, he was a part of reality shows like Jhalak Dikhlaja where he was training Karishma Tanna and also choreographed the Finale act for Terence Lewis in Nach Baliye. Currently Rishi is a part of the choreography team of Vaibhavi Merchant and has assisted her in choreographing various movies like Prithivraj, Bunty & Bubli 2.
Rishi has received extensive training in Contemporary and Mayurbhanj Chhau under the guidance of Master Santosh Nair while working as a Senior Company Artiste at Sadhya – A unit of performing arts. Like a true artist, he has been exploring and improvising, blending Chhau with Contemporary and touring around the globe to showcase this unique form of dance. He has also received extensive training in Jazz and Contemporary from Ashley Lobo spanning 13 years.
Rishi also won the title of Mr. Delhi Times and DT Fresh Face in 2009.
- Assisted Vaibhavi Merchant in the upcoming movie ‘Prithviraj’ starring Akshay Kumar and Manushi Chillar (2020).
- Assisted Shakti Mohan in choreographing ‘Hunkaara’ for the upcoming film ‘Shamshera’ . Choreographed Vaani Kapoor & Ranbir Kapoor (2019).
- Choreographed and featured in the fountain musical ’KrishnaRadha’ at the Ambani Wedding. Choreographed & performed with Mouni Roy (2019).
- Directed, choreographed and performed in ‘Dev Pari’ musical showcased as part of Namaste Pacifika – Festival of India in Fiji, Nauru and Tuvalu in January 2018
- Choreographed and featured in the Punjabi song ‘Gwandiyan Da Dhol’ by Dr. Zeus, Richa Chadha and Zora Randhawa released in October 2018
- Choreographed ‘Dare to Dissconnect’ Digital ad for sennheiser(2018).
- Choreographed a duet for ‘Lockdown’ a web series for zee5(2018).
- Choreographed Terence Lewis and his dance company in The Finale act of Nach Baliye 7 in 2017
- Choreographed in DID Li’l Masters Season 4 (Bir Radha Sherpas team)
- Choreographed a contemporary piece Apes of Oblivion for Sensation – Choreography society of Kirori Mal College, 2015
- Co-choreographed, Let’s Talk About It, a contemporary duo performance for Parallel Conversations, organised by Rahul Goswami, 2015
- Choreographed for Unburning Festival, Gurgaon, 2015
- Choreographed and performed ‘Asamanjas’ in the Chrysallis Project in Delhi Contemporary Arts Week by Friends of Art, 2013 and Uday 3, 2014
- Choreographed a Solo performance for Sangeet Natak Akademi for World Dance Day, 2014
- Choreographed Jim Morrison Play for National School of Drama, 2014
- Assisted Santosh Nair in Adhvan-Celebrating 15 years of Sadhya, 2013
- Choreographed and performed Triumph for Sri Venkateswara College, 2012
- Choreographed and performed for an NTPC corporate event, 2012
- Choreographed and performed ‘An Ode to Gurus’, Sadhya’s piece for the Quarterfest organised by Sadhya- A unit of performing arts 2012
- Assisted Santosh Nair in curating The World Dance Day with 120 artistes (2012-2015)
- Co- choreographed Jashne-Azadi in the JLN weight lifting stadium with 90 artistes (2014-2016)
- Trained in Mayurbhanj Chhau & Contemporary Dance under the tutelage of Santosh Nair for the past 4 years, 2012-2016
- Senior Company Artiste at Sadhya for the past 5 years, 2011-2016
- Trained in Jazz and Contemporary at Danceworx under Ashley Lobo for 13 years, 1999-2012
- Company member at Danceworx for 2 years, 2009-2010
- Trained in Ballet at Imperial Fernando Ballet Company, 2013
- Trained in Silk Aerial with Catherine and Sanjay Khan, 2013-15
- Trained in Acrobatics with Hari Narayan, 2012
- Performed the role of ‘Brihannala’ in Brihannala– a dance drama directed by Mukti Mohan and written by Brij Mohan Sharma.
- Performed the role of ‘Krishna’ in Krishna Radha musical for the Ambani wedding(2019) directed by Vaibhavi Merchant.
- Performed ‘Shiva’ in the music video ‘Shivtrance’ by Enbee(2019).
- Performed a duet in ‘’Lockdown’ season episode 7 foe Zee5(2018).
- Performed ‘Jai’ the second lead in the musical DevPari(2018).
- Represented India in the ABU International Dance festival in the contemporary category
- Top 12 finalist on So you think you can dance – Ab India ki baari, 2016
- Co-Lead in Sadhya’s productions performed at various festivals in India and abroad
- Played ‘Bheem’ in the The Game of Dice
- The Mystical Forest
- Played ‘Bhagat Singh’ in Jashne-Azadi
- Played ‘Lord Shiva’ in Nataraj
- Cameo in feature film, Listen Amaya
- Performed a tradional Chhau item ‘YODHA’ in Vande Mataram, Festival of India (Malaysia), 2015
- Performed the contemporary pieces of Sadhya in World Dance Day – last 4 years, 2012 – 2015
- Performed ‘The Mystical Forest’ in Kalanidhi Festival (Canada), 2014
- Performed ‘Nataraj’ in the Second India-Arab Cultural Festival (Algeria), 2014
- Performed Sadhyas pieces in Youth Festival by Sahitya Kala Parishad, 2012 – 2014
- Performed ‘Trinity’, Sadhyas production at Sirpur National Music and Dance Festival, 2014
- Performed ‘Roots’ a chhau presentation at NCPA (Mumbai), 2013
- Performed ‘Stealth’ a choreographic piece by Santosh Nair at Alchemy festival (Canada), 2012
Press and Social Media
- Facebook artist page with 10K+ followers – https://www.facebook.com/Rishi-Sharma-1376417439269688/
- Facebook profile with 5K friends – https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=749744000&fref=ts
- Youtube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa4p1STn8z0kuS3Gzd7XPvA/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd
- Featured on the front page of Gurgaon Times, Times of India
- Featured on the front page of Gurgaon Times (Hindi), Navbharat times
- Featured in the Dance Bible, online dance network and platform